Winters in Georgia can vary in temperature. One day, it’s pleasant and warm outside, the next it’s freezing cold. Whatever the may temperature is, your family wants one thing: comfort and safety. Regardless, your family doesn’t want to wear multiple layers of hoodies or blankets. Thompson & Thompson Service Group wants to share our winter comfort and safety tips for your family. Here are some helpful tips to keep your family safe and comfortable this winter:
Always Turn Off Portable Heaters
Space heaters heat your home quickly and efficiently; however, if left unattended these heaters can cause serious damage. According to USA Today, space heaters cause one-third of winter house fires. Space heaters aren’t necessarily ill-advised to use. Instead, it’s important to turn them off any time you leave a room, sleep, or leave your home. Turning off your space heaters when necessary can keep your family safe.
Never Use Your Oven to Heat Your Home
Never use your oven for heating your home. Kitchen ovens are designed for heating food, not your home. The reasons are infinite. Carbon monoxide, unattended open-source heating, and no proper ventilation can do substantial damage to your home. If your home is without heating, please use a portable space heater in a room with proper ventilation. While you sleep, use extra blankets to stay warm and turn off the unit.
Keep Flammables and Children Three Feet Away
Flammable material can overheat and combust if too close to an open heating source. This rule is simple: keep all flammable materials at least three feet away from the heating source. Additionally, we recommend the same practice for small children. For any open fire and heat source, designate a “Kid-Free Zone” to keep from anyone getting injured.
Always Use the Correct Fuel for Fuel-Burning Heaters
Always use the manufacturer-specific fuel for any heater that requires it. The proper fuel grade, amount of fuel, and ventilation are vital for proper operation. If you ever smell gas while your fuel-burning unit is in use, immediately turn it off and call the fire department and Thompson & Thompson.
Make Sure You Have Carbon Monoxide Alarms in Your Home
Carbon monoxide is an odorless and tasteless gas that can quickly poison you if not found in time. If you’re unaware of the signs or symptoms of carbon monoxide leaks, it’s doubly important for you to install carbon monoxide alarms in your home.
Test Your Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Alarms Monthly
Installing alarms into your home is important; however, if you don’t regularly check these alarms, these devices become obsolete. This article from Allstate explains the necessity behind your family’s safety. Signs of alarm issues can include false alarms, regular chirping, or frequent wear and tear.
Just as mentioned before, smelling gas is a sign your system isn’t working correctly. If you smell gas, please do not light your appliance. In the case that you smell the leak afterward, shut the system off and call the experts. Your safety is always the biggest priority.
Program Your Thermostat to 70 Degrees
In the Savannah area, we’re lucky to have mostly mild winters, but low temperatures do appear on occasion. Keeping a consistent temperature is important in these cases. A programmable thermostat can learn your schedule, keep accurate temperatures, and be controlled from your mobile device. Programming your thermostat at 70 degrees keeps your system working at a sustainable and energy-efficient level.
We hope you found this article helpful.
If you enjoyed this article, please take the time to share it on any of these Social Media networks. Thank you!